Monday, July 25, 2011

BR:the girl who was on fire

The girl who caught fire review

Like the book its self this review is not going to be my normal review since there is no story or characters I can't review whats not there Smart pop does books like “new dawn” and the books that provide eassays by well known authors about a series and gives insight to why people like it and maybe some things you didn't think of the first time around. Point is this will be the pro's of the book and the cons the what made it good and what made it bad as well as my review for the cover and my overall rating like normal



Pros: The topics are engaging, it is a quick book page wise it is only 210 pages long, It's a good book for people who have trouble writing essays because what better way to write an essay then to read and evaluate an essay that is 1. written by 13 well known YA authors and 2. on a topic people will enjoy if they have read the books, one essay talks about being famous and blogs and facebook and about how every time we check our status on face book or comments on blogger (ok ad libbed there) that you want to be famous and you lose the real you how you put a mask on for the people of the internet give them what you think they want to see by what they say instead of showing the real you, This is a very thought provoking book from politics to fashion to science to decadence.


Cons: This is a slow slow read it isn't your usual book this is a book of essays so of course this will be slow (good for plane rides however), despite the engaging topics not all the essays are engaging this has a lot to do with which author is writing what some authors have a more interesting writing style then others for example Jennifer lyan barns' essay was slow and you were very much aware you were reading it page by page however Mary borsellino is engaging in both writing and topic, It can get dull and to much like reading a school topic although they sprinkle qoutes and names and the book names here and there in some of the essay's it can get very dry and is easy to put down, some of the heavery stuff science and the heavy political talk can get to be a bit much


Cover: a gold arrow shaft stuck in the book with smoke billowing off it the font reminiscent of the very series it is going to go in depth with this is a fantastic cover eye catching for the fans of the games we know the symbol of an arrow well enough and subtle enough as if to say “this isn't a continuation of the book I'm just here to get you thinking still” A


Rating: NA this really doesn't need a rating however since it is about a YA book series and there may be a bad word here or there YA


Company: Smartpop



My rating : 4 of 5This is a must read if you finished mockingjay you HAVE to read it. Although some of it may seem rehashed because well it goes over the obvious points in the books this makes you think and hopefully my pro's and con's did it justice because there is no proper way to review a book like this. This book also brought back the same twisting emotions mockingjay left me with. The mention of gales name and his past deeds it was like hearing your ex boyfriend is doing great and has a new girl and its only been 4 months and your still not over it yet its like that all over again with gale and my feelings towards the character. you will be very surprised if you know me in RL to hear me say I love the smart pop books although this is only the second one I've read. The reason this would be surprising is because 1. this is a book of essays and pure essays thus 2. it's non fiction in a sense at least the heart of the topics are non fiction. I hate writing essays as much as I (normally) hate reading them give me a quiz on a book I read any book I was an ace in that but give me lined paper and a pen and tell me to write an eassy and well you can guess how well essays and right brain's go right? But despite that I like the in depth look at themes in twilight or the hunger games. I liked the one about twilight a bit more only because it had to deal with romance which I understand better then politics. I like seeing other peoples opinions on things obviously seeing as I'm a book reviewer and read other peoples reviews which are of course there opinions on a book this is no different only in essays instead of a formatted review. This book makes you think and maybe it makes you think about stuff you don't want to your political position perhaps? I can vote but I don't this book makes me feel a tad guilty about that but unlike katniss I don't understand politics at all it goes over my head like a well shot arrow to me its gibberish like my two years learning spanish it just doesn't stick. Another essay in the book that hit home for me was the self indulgent part.

This one made me think....that I'm a horrible person when I get food from the cafeteria and they give me to much or that I want an expensive doll made in china (A Doll zone Ball joint doll).

Getting back on topic is was a slow some times unbearable sometimes enjoyable all around thought provoking read that every hunger game fan should look for (also for me if you like the essay check out the books that these authors have done to me this is like a sneak peek of there writing style it's self)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...